[OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)

Subject: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:40:12 -0500 (EST)
Moose writes:
Does that have the PH-31Q head? If so, how do you like it? Does the one
handle
control tension/locking for both pan and
tilt, or is there a separate knob for pan?

If it is not that one it is so close as to not make a difference. The
tripod toppled with nothing on it (phew) and a locking piece broke.
The US Velbon distributor sent me a replacement piece with no
charge--not even mailing costs. Marnie has used it to make some horse
videos--seems to work well enough and dramatically better than
handholding.
I generally put the Acratech V2 on it for travel as I have an OM L
bracket that requires it. I think the tilt is a separate doohicky, but
one can lesson the tension on it and change the tilt with the handle
too, IIRC---I am still at work and can't verify that though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589885-REG/Velbon_ULTRA_MAXI_L_Ultra_Maxi_L_Tripod_w.html

The QR plates don't have an anti-rotation feature which is a moderate
beef. Wouldn't matter much with a light
kit though. Having a quarter or the tightening key handy is worthwhile.

Can't pan that head for the price, Mike

Oh,
Thanks for the bag update--I have a whole folder on smallish bags and
need to decide soon.