[OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)

Subject: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:44:30 -0500 (EST)
Moose writes:
>>I won't try to detail my wanders about the web researching. It all
boiled down
>>to a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3. I went with CF.

Be interested in the contenders and the decision process.   There may
be few better at that than the Moose. Thanks for posting the above.

>>And then, AND THEN, I tried the center column! I haven't kept up with
tripods
>>for some time. I vaguely knew a couple of
>>fancy ones had a center column you could take out and stick through a
hole for
>>horizontal use. But on this thing, you
>>just push on the bottom of the column as you push it up, flip it
sideways,
>>adjust length, and tighten the same knob that
>>works when it is vertical.

Ahem,   Ahem,  vaguely??  I recall a kitchen counter experiment with a
Gitzo explorer series pod  that has a nice macro center column feature
using Big Foot on an OM5D classic.
Went through the 3 or 4 legged decision and no hope for the 3 legged
making any plane trips.   It still will only make a
trip under special conditions so I can always second guess myself,
though it is fine with he Tam 400/4 so I can't complain
and  it is very nice for macro.

Please report in in how it performs/travels.  Will pay very very  very
close attention as  the Velbon just doesn't cut it f anymore.

4 legged Mike who will split the Tripod Storage Shed cost