Re: [OM] Wow, is the 35/2.8 really this good?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wow, is the 35/2.8 really this good?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 13:44:02 -0800
On 2/25/2011 5:27 AM, John Hermanson wrote:
> Right.  "Made in Japan" uniqueness applies only to 50mm f1.8.

It may be an indicator of a different version only on the 50/1.8.

Perhaps, like the removal of "MC", it was a cosmetic change that happened to
approximately coincide with a design
change? I did have a "made in Japan" with serial number near the change in
appearance that demonstrated sticky diaphragm
syndrome like the "MC"s I've had, and another that didn't.

Clearly, though, Oly made a similar cosmetic change on later production of at
least the 35/2.

On the 50/1.8 "LENS MADE IN JAPAN"  on the rear mount moved to the front ring
and became "made in Japan" and the serial
number moved from front ring to rear mount.

On this 35/2, "LENS MADE IN JAPAN"  on the rear mount has also moved,
partially, to the front ring and become "made in
Japan". The serial number has stayed on the front ring and a simple "JAPAN"
remains on the rear mount.

I guess perhaps they moved made in Japan to the more visible front ring because
the pejorative connotation of the
immediate post war period had changed to a positive indication of quality. But
on the smaller, 49 mm front ring, there
wasn't room for everything, so the serial number moved.

A. Speculative Moose