[OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:51:54 -0500 (EST)
I have this head because it uses the same QR plate as my main tripod.
Normally it's fine but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the QR
plate's inability to keep the camera/lens from drooping down when
tilted for portrait orientation. My big and heavy 80-200/2.8 isn't much
of a problem since it has it's own tripod mount and keeps camera and
lens pretty well balanced. But the 28-80/2.8 is very unbalanced and
even the much shorter and lighter Tamron 24-135 can be problematic.

I suppose if I tilted the camera in the opposite direction it would
tend to tighten the camera rather than coming loose but that's just the
way I've always worked... maybe a function of being left handed.
Anyhow, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't cost me an arm and a
leg. :-)

Chuck Norcutt

Well it is possible to convert some Manny heads to A-S that looks very
stable.  Very likely not worth it for  the monopod one and does in the
end cost an arm and half a leg--but no droopies.
The RRS L-brackets look very nice.  I doubt you would go with this
solution but thought it interesting.  Given your excellent fabrication
skills I bet you could do it, if so desired.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/840150

Mike