Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:51:00 -0800
Here's the kludge I came up with.

First, I like a ball head, got an Acratech for that.

Second, like to do macro, wanted a geared head to help with that.  Put a
Mangfrotto geared head on the tripod, it has it own unique quick release plate
that is rather bulky.  On top of that plate I have mounted an Acratech QR clamp.

I have an x/y focusing rail, it's mounted onto a second Manfrotto plate.  I only
use the rail on top of the geared head.  On top of that x/y rail is an Acratech

The tally of parts so far:
One Manfrotto geared head, two plates.
Two Acratech QR clamps
One Acratech ball head, with QR clamp

All of the cameras & lenses that will be used will get an Acratech/Arca style
plate.  I certainly have a couple of roving plates to switch around.  Generic
plates can be found on Ebay which have worked OK.  But the plates I have for the
OM bodies were purchased from Acratech.  But do check out the old bidding place
for genric plates.

Want to use the ball head, I put it in the tripod and have an Acratech/Arca
platform.

Want the geared head, put it on with its QR plate that has the Acratech clamp.
And I have an Acratech/Arca platform

Want to do macro, pull off the Manfotto plate that has the Acratech clamp and
put on the Manfrotto plate that has the X/Y focusing rail.

So my third scenario is: Acratech/Arca.

It's a kludge but I'm able to keep the same plates on the lenses/bodies through
all 3 scenarios.

It wasn't cheap but it also wasn't done all at once.  The gear head was used and
most of the Arca style lens plates were the knockoffs.

You may be able to take the Acratech clamp (I can vouch that they work, there
are knockoffs on Ebay which I can not do the same), adapt it to the head you
have now and then get the generic plates.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets