Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:03:11 +0200
I'm with you, Mike. Not only have I dumped quick release plates, I
have also
dumped most other movement-inducing aspects, all in the quest to tame
vibration.

I have an absolutely minimalist setup now (minimalist in terms of
number of
pieces and functionality, not in price!) I have a Gitzo Systematic 5541
tripod, with simply a really big, really flexible, ballhead on top
(Novoflex MagicBall - the big one). Not even a panoramic base.

This is the only setup that can hold my Large Format camera with a
720mm lens
rock solid, and (I suspect, have not tried yet) will also tame the
terrible
OM vibration in doing extreme Macro, but I need to add a good focusing
rail first.

The less links in the support chain, the better!

Dawid