Re: [OM] Race ya to the top

Subject: Re: [OM] Race ya to the top
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 15:21:16 -0800
On 2/27/2011 12:29 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Alt title is "Let's eat every bit of Mike's parsley".  Saw some black
> fluttering in the garden but easily could have been Spicebush butterflies.
> Seeing these guys on the parsley confirmed they were Black Swallowtails.  . .
> .
>

> http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Macro-2010/12031654_kFQEi#1200234896_SCPtB-L-LB

Wonderful subject and composition, perfect focal plane, nice, smooth transition
into OOF and nice bokeh. You must have
had a print in mind, at least unconsciously, as it crops very nicely to 8x10
proportions. :-)

I'd also consider such a crop for the web, to allow the caterpillars to be a
bit bigger without the image being too tall.

On 2/28/2011 4:00 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks,  I did notice the blue cast.  I did partially adjust it but didn't
> like the full adjustment effects on the background. (You should see the
> original scan) It was in deep shadow late in the day under clear
> skies--shadows are a bit blue then, No?  Still it doesn't just look  correct.

As I said relative to AG's lake, things may look quite different to someone who
hasn't seen the original subject in
original light. I looked at it with a mind to doing some WB work on it. First,
I simply clicked the neutral WB dropper
on a couple of neutral looking parts of a caterpillar. I liked the effect so
much that I didn't do anything else to color.

I know, it doesn't look anything like what you saw at the time. On the other
hand, it's really nice, and gives a great
impression of what the scene might have looked like much earlier in the day.

> I likely should have adjusted the 'pillars and background separately. Seems
> this is an issue common with Ektar 100 with shadows going blue---I think
> especially when scanned on the Frontier.

The Color Balance tool in PS (CRTL-B) allows separate adjustments for shadows,
midtones and highlights. I don't use it
often, but sometimes its just the ticket.

> . . .
>
> Many, many  reports of this problem in the shadows--may be due to the
> saturation of the film that amps up the colors .
> Perhaps a scanning fix is in order.

It must be hard having to live with scans over which you have almost no
control. Scanning myself, using profiles in
VueScan, I don't have anything like the troubles with WB you run into. Yes, I
know how much extra time you have to do
your own scans. ;-)   And you are used to sending bodies out to be scanned, so
why not film. :-)

> So, in metamorphosis all turns to soup and gets reorganized.  How could the
> memory possibly persist and thus how could they be liable, you ask? Well
> amazingly memories seem to survive metamorphosis.

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tsu, dreamed I was a butterfly flying happily here
and there, enjoying life without knowing
who I was. Suddenly I woke up and I was indeed Chuang Tsu. Did Chuang Tsu dream
he was a butterfly, or did the butterfly
dream he was Chuang Tsu?
     - Chuang Tsu, Inner Chapters, Tr. Feng and England.

> . . . Well, they are colorful, handsome little critters so I suppose I'll let
> them off the hook.
>
> A not litigious, Mike

They wouldn't last until the court date, anyway. :-)

Flutterby Moose