Re: [OM] Great buy

Subject: Re: [OM] Great buy
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:26:29 -0600
> Not a single comment??  I thought for sure someone would say
> something.  $650 for the 35-80mm f2.8 is an absolute bargain.
> Somebody buy it before I do!

Wow, I'm sorry. I misread it. I thought it was $850.

I'll just state again for the umpteenth time. The 35-80 F2.8 is one of
those "once in a lifetime" lenses. There just isn't anything out there
like it. Compared to how expensive ho-hum lenses are today, that 35-80
is a bargain.

Mine lives on a camera body almost all the time. It's especially good
on the E-system. Portraiture with this lens simply rocks. The bokeh
and sharpness are unmatched. Regardless of film or digital, the 35-80
is my favorite portrait lens right now.

Alas, it has a touch of CA, but not enough to worry about, except in
all but the most critical usages. Oh, and it is HEAVY. The weight of
those 16 elements adds up. Ain't much plastic in that thing, either.

The Zuiko engineers set out to create an optical masterpiece and they
succeeded with the 35-80 F2.8 zoom. NOBODY else built a lens like
this. Couldn't. I suspect that the cost of manufacturing far exceeded
whatever they sold it for. The glass alone, with all those special ED
and aspherical elements probably cost as much as the retail price of
the lens!

I'