[OM] Shameless Plugs and Other News

Subject: [OM] Shameless Plugs and Other News
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 10:06:44 -0600
As you can see by the header, this is a shameless plug alert. Feel
free to read no further if you are bothered by such items.

On www.zone-10.com there is a new article describing how to access the
Service Mode in the Panasonic DMC-L1. Evidently, this procedure is
also applicable to some of the other Panasonic bodies too, but I've
only tested it on the DMC-L1. The Service Mode does give you the
ability to access the shutter actuation count!!!!!

Secondly, our guest columnist, Artist-Photographer Michel Szulc
Krzyzanowski, has written several columns on the creative process and
this week's column "The Quality of Ideas" is especially potent. Michel
has been staying away from specific photo-technical issues, because we
can and do frequently end up focusing on the chisels, not the wood.
However, there is one article coming up where I'm trying to pry out of
him some technical aspects which we all might find interesting. He is
hosting a Masterclass (workshop) in Le Gorvello in Brittany, situated
in the northwest of France. This will take place at the end of August.
I'd go, but that would conflict with the color change in the U.P.
Actually, I can't afford it this year, otherwise I'd be all over it.
Michel isn't just any "guy with a camera", but a remarkable
one-of-a-kind talent with an incredible ability to teach.

Thirdly, www.zone-10.com is a click-to-buy supported site. We don't
yet charge any subscription fees. We don't even advertise, but we've
had over 1.3 million visitors. There are various fees required to host
a website and substantial time involved to do so. I have an Amazon
search box on the left column as well as advertising banners that run
at different locations on the pages. Please help us out by clicking on
our links when purchasing items from Amazon, B&H, Calument and others.
We typically get 2-8% from each sale. Not much, but each dollar
counts. Without this funding, www.zone-10.com will cease to exist. As
time allows and the Amazon link engine improves, I will be imbedding
targeted links throughout the site. The more revenue the site makes,
the more likely we'll be able to add more and better content.

Two books are currently being promoted on www.zone-10.com which I am
especially close to. First of all, Michel's "The Most Beautiful
People" is simple a one-of-a-kind, which is a must have for
everybody's library. You know that I don't get excited about
everything, but when I do get excited about something that I REALLY
get excited about it. This book is one of those items. If I could
"Christmas Gift" everybody on this list with a copy, I would. Plain
and simple, if you buy only one photography book this year, let it be
"The Most Beautiful People in the World" by Michel Szulc Krzyzanowski.

OK, I said two books. The second book is "Overwhelmed" by Karen L
Norton. Does the name sound familiar? It should. This is my wife and
the book is about her two-time survival of breast cancer. Many of you
long-timers on this list will recall the times when we went through
this. OK, maybe not the first time, as that was during an 18-month
period of time when I wasn't very active on the list, but several
individuals were very instrumental in helping me deal with this
horrible experience. Tom, Joel, Jim and a couple others played a large
roll in being my own support structure through these two times. Karen,
in the book describes the horror and challenge of being diagnosed with
breast cancer while having two babies at home and an unemployed
husband (me). But the book isn't just about the bad stuff, but about
the mental and spiritual process of dealing with cancer. Eventually,
there is recovery and freedom, but not without a tremendous physical
and emotional cost. The book describes how, after the first round of
cancer, that she was ready to put it all behind her and just look at
the experience as a bad nightmare. But when it came back, she realized
that this was part of her own identity and an important tool in being
able to help others. The term "The New Normal" is real.

Obviously, I directly have "skin in the game", so I'm going to be a
little bit promotional here. Forgive me, please. The book is a fast
and easy read with quick chapters. It is aimed at people either going
through cancer or affected by someone going through cancer. (I think
that's most people these days). Karen is a professional speaker and
musician and hosts "motivational-spiritual" style
workshops--especially for women and dealing with women's issues.
Although she is an ordained minister with the Assemblies of God, she
speaks and writes to a far broader audience with a highly adaptive
presentation.

On the left-side of the www.zone-10.com website is a link with more
information on her book, as well as a link to amazon for ordering. If
you buy just ONE non-photography book this year, I ask that it be
"Overwhelmed" by Karen L Norton. However, as we've seen over and over
again, people aren't buying just one copy, but multiples to give to
friends and family.

Now we return you to regular programming. Thank you for allowing me to
do a little promotion and I hope it hasn't been too painful.

(AG Schnozz)

Ken Norton
www.zone-10.com