Re: [OM] next lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] next lens?
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:04:36 -0800
The 7-14 is a very nice lens. PTLens makes it effortless to remove any
noticeable distortion ... but ultra-wide lenses have limited usefulness
(IMO). I made the mistake of carrying it and probably only one other lens
when walking around New Orleans. The 7-14 was too wide to be very useful.
The 14-54 ended taking all of the pictures that were worth keeping.

I don't have any of the 40-xxx lenses. I've got the original 50-200. I think
you will find a tele-zoom much more useful than the 7-14mm.

I didn't have PTLens when I first got the 12-60. I quickly got in the habit
of carrying the 7-14 and 14-54 because of the weird distortion the 12-60 has
(also the need for extreme wide angle inside homes). If PTLens handles the
distortion, the 12-60 might be a good choice.

The 50-200 is reasonably light and small when not zoomed out. When it is
zoomed out it is a big imposing lens. With good autofocus you might be
surprised how much a long tele would get used.

Good luck,

Jeff Keller