Re: [OM] OM to EOS adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to EOS adapter
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:18:13 +0800
Sorry, subject corrected.

Certainly and it is very easy to find out the problem if it does not lock
well (but I got no problem with my 25 OM lenses and 3 cheap adapters). I
have no specification on the lock dimensions but just measured an adapter
and a 50/1.4 with a dial caliper they matched very well.

> Do you consider that focusing with OM lenses on Canon body is easier
> by using the viewfinder or the live view LCD?

Liveview is extremely slow but certainly more accurate. Viewfinder focus
with 5D II is much more difficult than using OM bodies.

> I read a lot from several forums about the AF confirm chips. Some
> people say that it works like a charm. Some say that it is always a
> little out of focus. So I am wondering if it really is worth paying
> extra for a that feature. Well, 10$ here or there. Apparently at least
> there should not be any risk of electronically harming the body...?

Most likely no harm but I don't found its focus accuracy enough for my use.

> Sad to hear that the exposure is not absolutely accurate with OM
> lenses. I too shoot only raw so it helps a little. If live view LCD
> focusing is easy, then I would assume it to be easy to check the
> exposure before the shoot from the live histogram. I guess...

Better check it after exposure, it is not accurate before exposure too.

> Simple questions, but I want to know what I am going into :-)
>

> For your information, I really do not need infinity focus. I will
> attach my 90/2.0 and 50/3.5 with and without extension tubes or even
> bellows to the body. I can't remember a single shot with my E-1 with
> OM lens at infinity focus :-)

Mechanical focus precision is very important to me. I use my 24/2 a
lot with the meter scale and when I shoot video I have to make sure my
zoom lenses can maintain focus when I zoom, this only possible with a
precise lens mount to CCD distance. The adapters I have do very well with
minimum adjustment.

C.H.Ling