Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 10: nasty weather, tapas, women, tapas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 10: nasty weather, tapas, women, tapas
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:47:22 -0700
On 3/12/2011 10:55 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> By coincidence, I was out eating tapas twice this week, both times in the
> context of work.

The term "tapas" seems to have changed in use over the years since I was
in Spain.  In the '60s every time you were served a beverage, you were
also served with a tapa.  In a poorer bar, it might be a piece of potato
or two or three peanuts in the shell.  in the higher class bars, it
could be olives or various other things.  Once, in Sevilla, it was a
pajarito.  There were no "Tapas Restaurants" or such.  It was a custom
of the country that they served something to eat with the drink.  We did
go "Tosca Hopping" from bar to bar, searching for better tapas.  When we
found really good ones, we would then order a plate of them.  Yesterday,
I was talking to a young friend who teaches Spanish in a local high
school.  When asked about the tapas thing, she said that between the
year that she spent in Madrid as an au pair and a trip to Madrid in '08,
she had seen some changes in that usage.  I suspect that the changes
involve tourism.
Paul in Portland OR