Re: [OM] E-5 and engineers...

Subject: Re: [OM] E-5 and engineers...
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:56:49 +1100
Ah but they didn't have to because they were protected by the sea wall of
course.
He (Taleb) uses the example of an hypothetical individual working for the
aviation authority in the US in 2000. This person decides that all cockpit
doors in airliners should be armoured and issues a decree to that effect. The
airlines scream blue murder about the expense by have to comply. He should be a
hero because 911 never happens, but because it never happens he is actually
reviled and eventually forced out.
Thus -
"We should re-site the off-site back-up generators to higher ground."
"But why, they're protected by the sea wall I designed and which we built at
the cost of millions."
"But what if it isn't high enough."
"Don't be silly, it's high enough to repel the biggest tsunami ever recorded.
And it was my idea. And I'm your boss. "

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx