[OM] Has anyone figured out how to defeat the ink price monster?

Subject: [OM] Has anyone figured out how to defeat the ink price monster?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:27:30 -0400
When I have a lot of prints to do I send them off for conventional
processing.  But I still do make some prints with my two HP printers
which, despite being relatively low cost units, have 5 ink colors and do
a nice job printing on HP photo paper.  It gives me good color balance
with no balancing hassles.

Since I have a small laser printer for non-photo printing I don't do
much printing with the ink jets.  While I've never been happy with the
price of ink it hasn't been particularly upsetting since I don't use a
great deal of it.  But yesterday I went to Staples to get a replacement
for the large black cartridge (an HP 564XL) and I was greeted by the
following notice on the package... "NEW lower price, smaller size.  Up
to 2X more pages".

Well, they didn't change the product name. XL is supposed to mean "extra
large".  They're claiming that the XL delivers twice the page count of
the standard cartridge but it used to be much more than that.  I'd have
preferred that they just increase the price.  Now I have to change
cartridges more frequently with more time and expense in acquiring them.

How do I fight back?  Third party ink suppliers and profiling of ink and
papers?

Chuck Norcutt