Re: [OM] IMG: Moon Over Tennessee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Moon Over Tennessee
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:48:53 -0500
So, in the spirit of operational full disclosure...

Here's what I've done in preparation for doing a moon shot with a cell-tower
that I can get from my own front yard.

Follow along, folks. :)

1. Identified location of the tower. In this case 41.7417N, 92.7330W.

2. Identified desired shooting location. In this case 41.7428N, 92.7388W.

3. Stood at desired shooting location and using the ipad with an
angle-finder found that the cell-tower antennas were 5 degrees elevation.

4. Using TPE, I located the photographer location with the red marker and
the tower with the gray marker. Distance to tower is 1640 feet, bearing 104
degrees.

5. Using the Time Adjust slider, I move the moon position line till it
intersects the tower.

6. Adjust shooting location until line intersects the tower at 5 degrees
altitude (elevation).

7. Note the time, which is 8:20 PM.

8. Note the place where I start shooting. See trees? See building? See
parking lot to the east of shooting location? This is all downhill.

9. The downhill slope is significant!!! I am able to start shooting from the
top of the slope at the townhouse parking lot and as the moon rises, I move
to the east, down the hill and into the lower parking lot. By doing so, I
can keep the moon centered on the antennas for around seven minutes.

When dealing with sunrise or moonrise photos you want the ability to move to
the east. This will allow you to keep the moon centered on an object longer
than the very short time it will normally give you. North-south movement
will help with alignment, but when keeping the moon positioned on an
elevated object, having the ability to move towards that object will alter
the elevation angle.

Just doing a quick calculation, the moon diameter will be approximately 0.56
degrees. My 8-foot wide antenna array will be about 0.31 degrees. So the
entire antenna array will take up just over half of the moon's diameter.
Since I'm using 300mm focal length on a Four-Thirds camera, my angle-of-view
is approximately 3.8 degrees horizontally, so the moon will be about 1/8 of
the width of the image area.

Anything else?

Don't be a mooncalf.

AG