Re: [OM] Has anyone figured out how to defeat the ink price monster?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has anyone figured out how to defeat the ink price monster?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:53:02 +1100
It's not just ink - powder too.
I thought I'd get a cheap monochrome laser printer for the studio as they were
selling for between $60-80. In the past, a new printer came with a 'starter'
cartridge which was identical to a proper one but only had half a load of
toner, enough for about 2000 typed pages compared to 4000 for a regular one. I
always consider that to be an outrageous rip-off as the cost of the extra toner
would be bugger all.
Things have changed. Now the starter cart. will do 750, the replacement cart
1500 and a high capacity cart. 2600! (Brother). For the Samsung I already own,
suddenly a 2000 capacity cart. is 'standard'. I can get one refilled with a
heavier load of 'eco-friendly aren't we responsible' toner but my experience
with those has not been good - won't fuse properly and smears.
Add to that a $78 printer has a replacement cart. that costs $75, or the
so-called 'high capacity' cart. for $130.
I mean , this is just evil, right? It would be cheaper to buy a whole new
printer every time the cart. runs out. How eco-friendly is that?
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx