Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/3/2011: Casa Marilyn on Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/3/2011: Casa Marilyn on Tri-X
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:07:54 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Norton [mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx]

>> I don't know how you can realistically compare given different size
>> images and color vs. b&W.

> Scientific comparison? No. Aesthetic comparison? Sure! If the end
> result is web-display, the comparison is absolutely valid.
>
> The problem with scans for web display is the blurring during
> downsizing. I think it is much harder to get a decent downsized image
> from a scan than from a digital capture. The images end up with a
> softness which just doesn't settle well with me. Nathan's pictures
> bear this out too. Truth be told, whenever I display a scan on
> Zone-10, more often than not I have to jump through some hoops to get
> it to look as good as it does.
>
> However, in print, none of that matters and in fact the scanned image
> will almost always look better than the digital capture.
>
> AG
> --

I was surprised when I zoomed both images to be the same large size on my
screen, they appeared to be equally sharp. I just guessed it was due to both
being sharper than the web display but being compressed ... enlarging in IE
could add more blurring of reason though.

On a separate note there is a big black lens on ebay for $721 which would
look very nice with a silver schnozz
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370493725893&ssPageName=
STRK:MEWAX:IT>
The price may not change dramatically because "Front glass: Decent. Many
scratches and scuffs all over the front element". It otherwise looks very
nice.
Jeff Keller