Re: [OM] IMG: White on White

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: White on White
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:59:02 -0500
> Thanks, Ken.  How did the weather treat you last evening?  TWC showed a
lot
> of stuff moving through Iowa.

The biggest stuff moved right around us. They triggered the tornado sirens
for Grinnell even though it was the town to our south that was in the path.

The lightning was unbelievable. It was doing the flicker thing. In fact, we
all noted the weird sound outdoors. There was this constant drone of rolling
thunder. Sounded like a big waterfall... or train... Hmm... That was about
the time the sirens started.

It was a pretty powerful squall-line that moved through. The shearing wind
delta was probably around 75 mph here at the house. (40 mph from the east,
rapidly switching to about 35 from the west).

We're pretty geeky in this household when it comes to severe weather and had
it pretty well figured out where and when we were going to get hit.

What really threw things, though, was a wind, temperature and humidity shift
prior to the squall-line arriving. About two radar passes prior to the
arrival a new cell bloomed up just on the east edge of town. The outflow
from the squall-line had combined with an already present uplift and within
three radar passes had gone from non-existent to purple. That sucked a lot
of life out of the squall-line as it hit the spot where this new cell popped
up.

AG