Re: [OM] fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] fungus
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:46:47 -0500
> It just occurred to me that, if the IR filter is cemented on, then it
> should also be hermetically sealed against fungi.  That would mean...
> either a poor cementing job or that the fungus was on the inside of the
> filter when installed at the factory???

Chuck, I was thinking the same thing, but two thoughts come to mind.
First one is that it is pressure fit, not cemented. The second thing
is that the fungus thrives in the cement used to bond the sensor and
filters (UV and IR as well as a glass spacer). This may not be all
that far-fetched as I think we've seen fungus between cemented lens
elements.

I've got a hankering to try converting one of those fungused cameras to IR.

AG