Re: [OM] (OM) OT wireless modem

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT wireless modem
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:22:25 +0200
Here in the Netherlands/ Europe, you have to split the ADSL signal from your
(speach) phone line as soon as possible, and then attach the ADSL modem to
it with a short cable. The longer the ADSL signal stays on the cables in
your house (relative low quality cable), the more it will loose speed (but
the question is whether you'll really notice it, especially if you come from
an old fashioned modem ;-).

In general, the ethernet cable which comes after your modem can be extended
to any length you want, because it has very low loss of signal. The cables
before the modem are much more prone to loss of signal (as far as I
understood).

You might have received a combined modem and (wireless) router. That makes
it more difficult to choose the optimal place for your wireless router. You
want it somewhere in the middle of the places in (and maybe outside) your
house where you (mostly) use wireless devices. That is not typically the
place your phone line enters your house.

If you have a combined modem/ wireless router there is always the option of
using only the modem part, and then putting a wireless router on the optimal
place. They are not that expensive anymore. Usually, it gives you the more
advanced wireless technology too (N).

Good luck, Frank.