[OM] A wireless router data point

Subject: [OM] A wireless router data point
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:00:38 -0400
Recent mention of wireless modems/routers reminded me that I recently
had a mysterious problem with my Linksys wireless router here in Florida
(where I live in an RV park).

My wife tried to print something to our wireless HP all-in-one but the
printer wasn't on-line.  Since the computer was apparently communicating
with the router (Firefox and Thunderbird were running OK) I immediately
concluded that the problem was with the printer.  That caused me to be
upset since the printer was just barely out of warranty.

Then, after significant fretting over how I was going to resolve the
problem, I happened to notice that the computer wasn't actually
connected via my own router.  The router had somehow failed and the
computer had quietly picked up on the RV park's general wi-fi service
and had reconnected there.  That still left me somewhat upset since the
router and printer had been purchased at the same time and the router
was equally just out of warranty.

Power cycling the router a couple of times made no difference so I tried
reinstalling the software and running through the setup process again
which (happily) resulted in a return to normal operation.  I've no idea
what happened but it was recoverable.  As a benefit I also reset the
passwords to something which I have now written down.  A year ago I when
I installed it I was convinced I'd remember them but hadn't.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt