Re: [OM] (OM) OT Wireless modem

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Wireless modem
From: Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:53:13 +0200
Frank's mention of 'relatively low-quality cable' is really the salient
point.  The telco cabling over several km is twisted pair(s) which resists
interference, but house wiring (especially 'extension cords') tend to be
flat/ribbon because it's easier to hide under carpet and easier for the
diy-er to fit connectors.  If you want to make any significant run in the
house, try to get twisted pair.

Better is to put the modem as close as possible to the master socket (entry
point to the house) and run an ethernet cable (which is also twisted pair!)
to the wireless router which you can then position centrally relative to
where you expect to be sitting with you computer.  However if you're able to
run lengths of ethernet cable around your house you might as well run it
direct to where you usually use your pc too and avoid wireless completely!

Jez