Re: [OM] IMG: Titmouse

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Titmouse
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:36:35 -0400
There's a trick I heard about, allegedly used by some bird photographers
because the little fellows are sometimes really hard to catch, and not everyone
can afford a 600/f2.8. Anyway, the way the story goes is that you get yourself
a stump or a long long with a weathered end that doesn't look like it's been
chairsawed, and you set it on-end with a proper forest or wild background, and
then you seed the stump, literally, so the little guys come in to snack.
Because you've set up the "perch", you know how far, which lens, and you can be
set up and ready to go at a second's notice. And the resulting pics don't have
a feeder or some other man-made device in them. Looks like you trekked through
the wild to get the shot. <g>

I'm sure you've seen the famous angry bluebird picture that's sold a skazillion
prints . . . ? I'm told this is how that one was done, and they photog even had
a motion detector to fire the camera. Didn't even know what he had until long
after.

--Bob