Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:19:57 -0700
On 3/27/2011 10:00 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> Have you tried opening your TIFF files in Camera Raw? I don't do much of that
> because I use raw files in ACR, but I have fiddled with a few images from
> back in the day, and ACR provides a whale of a lot of post-processing power
> for very little investment in time--particularly if you practice a little
> with the brush adjustments and the graduated filer tool. (Sounds daunting,
> but it isn't, and the results can be spectacular.)

I just tried the brush(es), with no instructions and less thought. I got weird
results. ;-)

> It's not going to be long, in fact it's damn near already here, when ACR is
> all the post processing most people will need.

That's distressing to me. I've always separated basic exposure and WB functions
in ACR from all the other post
processing in PS. That kept things clean, original CR2 file, ACR parameters,
PSD with naming conventions, layers and
layer names that give me a clue what I did and final web size image.

They kept adding functions to ACR that I thought properly belonged in PS, but I
was able to ignore them for a long time.
Then they introduced lens corrections with profiles in both, but all the
profiles seem to be for ACR. But, phew, it
wasn't as quite good as PTLens, so again I could ignore it.

Now with the Samsung JPEGs, ACR is indispensable for highlight recovery on a
camera with limited DR. I've found it
invaluable to have the image at 2-3 separate steps, with some hints as to what
was done. I want to keep the untouched
original, the ACRed version and the fully processed PSD.

Unfortunately, ACR stores it's settings in the EXIF of the original JPEG
file,unlike with RAW files, where it creates
separate .xmp files, leaving the original file untouched.

And now you are suggesting I should consider ACR for further post processing?
UGH! :-)   Until it has nameable layers
for masking, so I can step back a ways, try an alternate approach and compare
it with what I've done before when things
get squirrely,  I think I'll stay with PS for that work.

Moose