Re: [OM] My first photos - Olympus E-P2

Subject: Re: [OM] My first photos - Olympus E-P2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:14:12 -0700
On 4/1/2011 1:11 AM, Marc Lawrence wrote:
> Although not strictly intended as a photo outing, I took the E-P2 out
> on a longish walk yesterday to try it out. I am quite impressed with
> both the operation and the results (camera results, rather than mine
> :) ).

The heck with the camera, except as it freed you up to take those images. Any
of a zillion cameras could have captured
them. Only you could choose them.

Strongest stuff I recall seeing from you, at least in a long time

> The "kit" zoom, which I cynically suspected of low quality, held
> up quite well...it's certainly satisfactory for my purposes.

For web images, almost any lens works fine.

> Anyway, here's an album of results. I only took 29, but I've pulled 16
> from them for this album. Comments are welcome.
>
> http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=263

Great set.

08 - I love it. I believe you said the formation is common there, but it's
exotic to me. I'd make it more abstract by
cropping slightly at the top.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310008cr.jpg>

10 - Another great abstract! You've done just the thing with this and 31 that I
want in Ken's high key abstracts,
holding the tonal and textural details.

13 - I'm with Bob on this one' first rate composition, perfect color.

14 - A nice image, but I'd drop it as repetitive and weaker than the others.

16 - Better, because of the water patterns in the sand. Still, I'd defer to . .
.

17 - The organic shape of the rock and the patterns in the sand make this one
stand out in the gazillions of similar
images I and others have made. I'd bring the sand tones down more like others
and enhance the sharpness in the sand a
little.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310017FM.jpg>
   - Or less.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310017ia80.jpg>

19 - Excellent portrait! Great expression, framing/composition and the
painterly bokeh of the background is wonderful.
Me, I'd be bringing the brighter parts of his face down just a tiny bit.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310019a.jpg>

21 -  What a wonderful find! Painters and photographers make up still life's
like this, but few some simple and
perfectly composed. And unless you were so patient as to set the fish head in
the right place and wait for a few waves
to make their patterns in the sand, without washing it off, what luck and eye!
'Twere mine, I'd sharpen it up a bit for
display size.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310021FMia50.jpg>

22 - A perfectly nice B&W seascape, but doesn't quite grab me. I'd play with it
and find at least a pixel of pure white
in the clouds. If that didn't do it, I'd let it go.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310022a.jpg>

24 - This is quite nice. On it's own, I'd enjoy it. As a setting piece for the
set, it's important.

26 - I can see why I would take it, especially the feather. I like the
"signature", Stone Feather, lower right. But it
doesn't move me. Perhaps larger, where the detail of the foam would be
differentiated?

It can be punched up a bit, but doesn't look as good as if it were done on the
original. There are what appear to me to
be artifacts in the foam, and they become more obvious.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_All&image=P3310026ia50.jpg>

27 & 28 - I like both. Nature has provided a very nice composition of stones,
but the set needs only one. Seems to me
that 28 is the stronger composition and 24 has already provided the setting.

29 - A personal bugaboo. I've taken this shot, something in foreground on
beach, surf, and headland, over and over in
various places. They have always looked like they should work when on the
beach, and have never worked for me later.
This is a nice example of the type.

31 - I'm a sucker for abstracts found in nature, or the effect of nature on man
made things. I really like this one.
Perfectly composed, exposed, etc. I particularly like those, like this one,
that, absent context, don't immediately
reveal their nature, and act as Rorshachs, drawing my projections. I can, and
have, gazed at this one for a long time,
'seeing' many things in the abstract forms.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/MtDesert/BassHarbor&image=_MG_7957corcria.jpg>

33 - As part of a mini travelogue, this one provides context. For me, the best
of this set stand firmly on their own
sans context, so for me it isn't needed. If included, I think it benefits from
some LCE, etc.

As you can possibly tell, I liked this set a lot, and enjoyed playing with some
of the images. :-)   I find it stronger
edited to 12 images.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_Twelve>

And stronger yet as nine images, each individually strong, and with a common
source and light.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Marc_Lawrence/Beach_Nine>

Semi Critical Moose