Re: [OM] Contax G

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax G
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 21:36:54 -0700
On 4/7/2011 4:27 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> See the description of Custom Function 4 on page 152 of the Canon 5D
> manual.  If you set C.Fn-04 to "1" from its default of "0" the "*"
> button on the back of the camera (near the tip of your thumb) will cause
> the camera to focus.  Half pressing the shutter button then only locks
> exposure if in an automatic mode.

Oh, I know about it.

> After missing a few shots because you forgot to focus you'll get the
> hang of it and likely never go back.  No reason why the view of the
> focusing target should also be in control of exposure.  Try it.  You'll
> like it and never go back.

Nope. Been there, didn't like it, went back, long ago. I suppose if I could
make one of those little buttons AEL and the
other AFL - AND - half press would activate whichever one or both that hadn't
been expressly set, I might use them. Or
not. :-)

As it is, I use AEL on rare occasions, and rather like half press for AFL. I
suspect the difference may be in our
vision. I can almost always clearly see whether what I want is in focus through
the viewfinder. I'll even try the half
press 2-3 times with slightly different framing until I get what I want, then
shoot. That's faster than turning off AF
and manual focusing. (Neither of my primary lenses have the combo AF/MF of the
nicer Canon lenses. Only the v. seldom
used 24-85 has that.)

Focused Moose