Re: [OM] Calico Light Weapon Systems and the Smithsonian WHAT"S YOUR DAY

Subject: Re: [OM] Calico Light Weapon Systems and the Smithsonian WHAT"S YOUR DAY JOB OM FOLK?
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
I hate weapons with passion and why I like shooting was a mystery to me up
until recently.  It starts like this...

While I was in sixth grade, somehow I got signed up for what I could loosely
translate as "applied military exercises".  It was a competition which starts
with running 1500m ( a mile) carrying a .22rifle in hand.  At the end, there
were five about 10cm in diameter targets that one has to shoot at from 100m
distance.  One runs 100m penalty for each missed target.  Oh, did I tell you
that the clock is ticking whilst all this is happening?

The second part was going through a different course...one starts with throwing
a grenade through a window 25m away then jumps over a puddle, runs on a bar 10m
long, jumps over a wall 2.5m tall and crawls 50m under barb wire.  At the end,
you pick up an air rifle and shoot at 5 quarter-sized targets 10m away.  Of
course, you run 100m penalty for each missed shot, same if you miss the window
with the grenade.

It was very difficult to aim after running and I had to cope with that.  There
are methods to slow down my hart that I learned to use...

Recently I discovered that shooting is actually a relaxation technique, similar
to meditation.  One has to calm down and dinstance itself from the rest of the
world in order to hit the target.  I rarely miss days of not doing it.

The only firearm I own was a gift from the father in law with a missing liberal
gene. I am yet to use it...but I do have an air pistol and also a shooting
range down in the basement where I use airsoft guns.  They shoot out a little
plastic pellet and hit a sticky target about 5m away.

When wifey and I met, we went once to a paintball game, but it was too weird to
shoot at people at least and I hated it.  Needless to say, now I know why I
like playing with my airsoft guns...helps me fight stress and am not actually
destroying anything.

Best

Boris