Re: [OM] Bigger Game

Subject: Re: [OM] Bigger Game
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:33:52 -0500
Let me be up front with this: in theory I like the idea of universal
healthcare.  BUT
The US has to support a much larger infrastructure than "many if not
most" developed nations.  Not to mention our defense spending which,
regardless of how you feel about it, has allowed pretty much the rest
of the Western world to spend freely on things other than defense Eg
healthcare.  And you're right, "universal" should have been in quotes,
and this only serves to underscore the fact that a truly universal
healthcare system in the US would likely be an unmitigated disaster.
When the Chinese have stepped in to take over as the next world leader
in the wake of true American financial disaster, then you'll be
thankful for your niece.

Frankly I think the US should start withdrawing troops everywhere
(save N. Korea), slash defense spending, raise taxes, undertake a
massive audit of Medicare, increase tax incentives for domestic
manufacturers (not corporations necessarily, just manufacturers of
tangible goods), and focus more resources toward immigration and
citizenship programs (the citizenship process is in desperate need of
efficiency). Once that has been done, then let's talk healthcare.  Too
bad that would be political suicide.

It's not perfect anywhere but many if not most developed nations seem
to manage it somehow and avoid some of the truly awful stories I've
heard here and elsewhere. I don't see how that could destroy a nation.
And my niece is the designated Mandarin speaker in the family but I
don't see the relevance of that either.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx