Re: [OM] Contax G

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax G
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:09:27 -0500
> Thanks.  Your summary makes it much clearer.  What's interesting is that
> the matrix metering keys off the focus point rather than the center of
> the image.  Is this a new discovery for you as well?

No. This is also how it work with the majority of cameras that have
multiple focus-points. The camera makes an assumption that whatever is
in focus is what is the subject. And generally, that is the closest
subject measured, unless it's a donut situation where the outsides
focus sensors determine close and center is far--in that situation it
will override the closest-is-subject rule and invert it. A
"fuzzy-logic" algorithm is involved.

Where you are correct about the center of the image is when you
override the auto AF-point selection and force it to center-only. When
you do that, it makes the camera always assume the center and only the
center AF spot is setting on the subject. Therefore, it is the subject
which will force the exposure-bias to it. So, depending on how you
have the camera setup changes the entire dynamic of things quite
dramatically!

On the A1, there are several menu items of note, which play into this
whole thing:

Red Menu, Page 1: AEL button. Mine is usually set to Spot AE Toggle if
I'm wanting to make the camera pretend to have an instant spot button.
Use Hold if for one-shot, Toggle for multiple. This is the function
Olympus failed to put into the E-1 for which I've given unending
grief.

Red Menu, Page 4: AE lock. Mine is sometimes set to Off so it acts
like the OM system. Otherwise the exposure holds when you have-press.
When you recompose, the exposure stays the same. The problem there is
if you do that for focusing reasons and substitute subjects, the
exposure will skew. As the E-1 functions better with the lock exposure
on the half-press, I'll turn this on to match it.

Red Menu, Page 4: Spot AE area. This is where things get fun. This is
set at either Center spot or Flex Focus Pt. Mine is always set at Flex
Focus Pt so when I'm working on a tripod or have the focus point slid
around elsewhere, the AEL spot exposure circle with track around right
with it.  Super cool!!! This feature alone is sooooo unique among
cameras that one is gobsmacked that it isn't implemented on every one.

Of course, since you are in that menu, Make sure Direct MF is turned On.

A couple other settings of note:

Red Menu, Page 1: Flash mode to Fill-flash, Flash control to ADI flash.

Red Menu, Page 3: Monitor amp. Normal. Manual exp. set to Exp.
priority. Mag. button to FlexMagnifier

AG