Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics now Epson Scan
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:04:09 -0400
On Apr 7, 2011, at 7:44 PM, Moose wrote:
> I've watched a couple of videos, as well as reading your examples. It's clear
> how it works and that it works well. On
> the other hand, it reminds me a lot of how I often paint effects in and out
> with masks. In that sense, I don't see where
> it does anything I'm not already doing.

<snip>
> I didn't know about that, and I can see where it makes the whole thing much
> more controllable. On the other hand, If one
> works different magic on different parts of the image, they are all smooshed
> together in the Background layer. With a
> complex image, like Marc's recent B&W seascape, i can end up with different
> adjustments to several different masked layers.
>
> When I come back to see how what I've done looks after getting away from it
> for a while, I will suddenly see how one
> layer isn't right. I can then go in and just work the adjustments for that
> one layer and its already carefully defined mask.

Si, exactly. Another way to do the same thing. Another path to the summit. All
of this, of course, very, very image specific. Depends on what you want to do
with the image you're looking at in the present moment. Sometimes, if the gods
were smiling and the Fate Sisters spinning in harmony, you get a capture that's
pretty near what you wanted to get in the first place. A little here, a little
there in Camera Raw, and you've got a finished file. On the other hand, some
files demand 47 layers, each with a very specific adjustment. Couldn't do it
any other way.

> Also, ACR overcompensates for vignetting, on my lenses. This is easy enough
> to correct by hand, but one must remember to
> do so. I prefer a tool where auto use leaves the image under messed with,
> rather than more . We are used to some
> vignetting, but light corners stick out. And I still don't like the way it
> expands the image to crop off bits from
> correction.

Vignetting? You have vignetting? Better get some new lenses. Hehe. <g>

> Multi-wink! When I hear someone say they use PS a lot and don't use Actions,
> it makes my hands and eyes tired just
> thinking about it. I have about 20 Actions that I use over and over and over
> again. I find them indispensable. I also
> make temporary ones for limited projects.

I have some myself. They're pretty general, though, such as setting up my
global adjustment layers with Levels, Curves & Hute/Saturation, each in its
correct Blend mode. I also have actions for setting up web images, but I need
to work on it a bit more because sometimes it just refuses to do what it's
told. Or would that be it refuses to do what it told itself to do?

--Bob