Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:31:32 -0400
The numbers on the chart are too tiny for me to read them easily but I
do note that the time scale is in milliseconds and stretches over many
of them whatever the actual scale.  A small portable electronic flash
may have a flash duration as little as a 1/50 of a millisecond or even
shorter.  A big studio electronic flash might have a duration as long as
1 millisecond.  All much, much too fast for the camera to handle in its
normal auto mode.

In order for TTL FP mode flash to work in auto exposure mode the flash
duration must be at least as long as the flash sync speed.  For an OM
body that's at least 1/60 second or 17 milliseconds.  If you look at the
ramp up/ramp down curves on those FP graphs you can see that getting
some stable light will take a while which is why the FP sync starts
ignition of the bulb before the shutter opens.  Some additional timing
slop would probably also be desirable so I think I'd like to see a burn
time of 35 milliseconds or more.  Even so I'm still not sure it will work.

Dr. Flash