Re: [OM] Camera Purchase-First Cut

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Purchase-First Cut
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:24:16 +1000
The Sony a33 is quite nice. I've used an a55 but had a problem or two. Yes, the
LCD is nice but it's an SLR, not a compact so it's awkward to use the Live View
for normal shooting. The electronic viewfinder is sharp and clear but it tended
to black out when processing. That doesn't happen in 7x hi-speed mode though.
If you are committed to the Sony, I'd get the slightly better a55. It's not
much more and it is faster. The Sony's do have an excellent Hi-ISO routine -
because it can shoot hi-speed clusters of shots, in that mode it will shoot 3-5
frames and then blend them to reduce noise. It works really well. The sweep
panorama mode is quite good too - rips off 25-30 shots and stitches a centre
strip from each frame. They've obviously given some thought to what they can do
with the design - fast continuous shooting is only part of it.
The problem with Sony is the cost of lenses. Bodies are reasonably priced but
the consumer grade lenses are very pricey. The pro lenses are horribly
expensive but they are brilliant.
If you prefer to 'chimp', I'd suggest getting an mFT unit. If you insist on an
SLR style, I did like the Samsung NX10. Very good value.
As to the indication on the screen of changing exposure level - that may be a
custom setting. Often you can select either a representation of exposure level
or a compensating view - your choice.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx