Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 30, Issue 19

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 30, Issue 19
From: classicvw@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:19:31 -0400 (EDT)
Exactly, AG. I'm sure the flea marketer has overpriced a few things in the past
when selling to an unknowing buyer.
If a seller can be said to be in it to make a profit, why shouldn't we be in it
to minimize what we pay?

I've told the story before about being in a fairly large camera store, the
glitzy,
way overpriced variety where you wonder how they manage to stay in business
with prices that high, The salesman showed me a Like new Leica CL kit with the
40 and 90mm lenses that had "just one problem" and "that is why it's priced
low".
(Their low price on a kit with a problem was still nowhere near a "Fang", it
was
priced at about 50% of its normal retail value). He then demonstrated how the
camera's meter would only work if he slammed the base of the camera into
the palm of his hand. I cringed and purchased the kit on the spot,
because I realized that he wasn't pulling out the wind lever about 10 degrees
like you needed to, in order to activate the meter in that camera body. I was
still a bit
worried and wondered how many times he slammed this camera and if there was any
damage done.

-George S.

And specific to this fang-o-mighty, if I find a seller that SHOULD
know better, then I have no mercy. Batteries not checked? It costs
nothing to check the batteries. Had the seller done so and the camera
worked perfectly, then it wouldn't have been $20, but probably $50-60.
Had they done 30 seconds worth of research on Google, the F1.2 lens
would have had more value. This isn't a case of taking advantage of
someone's ignorance, this is a case of taking advantage of someone's
laziness.

The world of flea markets is total risk/reward for everybody involved.
My success has been pretty high with the flea market at the Dayton
Hamfest, but I usually lose out everywhere else.

AG