Re: [OM] IMG: More Experimental Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experimental Images
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:41:03 -0500
> Thanks for the update.  I'm thinking that, with the E-510 turned to
> vertical, on the monopod, the IS may be more effective than I thought.  I
> have been concerned about rotational movement of the monopod during shutter
> release.  A combination of a shoulder stock and monopod would be ideal, but,
> as of yet, I haven't found a stock that I like.

My "shoulder stock" is a highly nortonized tripod where the
center-column has been cut to length and a mini-ballhead mounted on
it. I screw this to the bottom of the camera or lens, turn the column
so it's sticking backwards behind the camera. I hold it like a
rifle-stock in my shoulder. Stabilizes everything very well. The only
problem is summertime when you are wearing just a T-shirt and after a
few minutes it gets a little uncomfortable poking into your skin. But
placing a little "T" shaped dohicky into the end of the column fixes
that.

When I want to go from shoulder-stock to tripod usage, I just loosen
the ballhead so the columnn drops vertically, tighten it and then drop
the whole thing into the tripod base. A quick tighten of the column
screw and I'm in business. To go from tripod to shoulder stock, just
loosen the column screw, lift the camera and column out, a quick
loosen of the ballhead to swing the position of the column, retighten
and start shooting. Literally no more than five seconds going either
way.

I'm tempted to buy a nice fluid-head for video production. These make
great heads for telephoto still photography. In fact, I think they
work better than the gimble-mounts, which are really slick in their
own right. But the gimble-mounts are definitely better when tracking
flying birds.

AG