Re: [OM] Airfield visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] Airfield visitor
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:31:53 -0400
Andrew:

Spitfires had 6 different wing types, summarized below:
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_spitfire_wings.html

The final version of the D wing for the PR versions was, I believe, one
of the first uses of integral fuel tanks (in the wing leading edge),
which is normal now.

The only other significant modification related to the wing tips:
"clipped" for low-level performance (especially better roll rates to try
and match the FW190), normal and "extended" for high-level flight (on Mk
VII and MkVIII versions). Clipped/normal tips were field modifications,
I think.

Packard Merlins equiped the late-model P-40 and the P-51 (B,C,D
onwards). They also went into Canadian built Lancasters. I understand
many of the Mk XVI spits (like the one Chris saw) had the Packard
Merlin.

Martin