Re: [OM] Mike;s houscleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Mike;s houscleaning
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:36:17 -0500
> The PMC towers yes?

Uh huh. They make my ears scream in horror of having to listen to my Bose
instead.

Actually, since my old Pioneer amplifier went to the sound-system in the sky
(I'm pretty sure it's been cursed to an eternity the other direction), I've
been stereo-free. For listening pleasure, I've been doing the headphone
routine with an ancient set of ragged out Yamaha headphones which are held
together with duct-tape. Surprisingly, they aren't half bad--in fact, one of
the "sleeper" headphones that somehow made it into mass production without
people realizing just how good they were. Good enough for serious audio
production work. The vinyl on the ear muffs are long gone and they look like
junk, but they're still hanging in there. They aren't the best, but they are
reference--I've been using them for almost 17 years now and my wife had them
for a half-dozen before that. I consider them the headphone equivalent to my
favorite NS10M speakers. Not pretty, not overly good, but reference

It takes really good mixing and miking techniques to get things sounding
decent in them. But they do mask a lot of nasties that lurk just below the
surface of the sound. With high-quality cans you can hear stuff three layers
deep, whereas with these (and the NS10M) you have to mute channels to
understand what is there. On a positive note, they are a good test for what
the typical listener hears in their sound systems, or over airplay. With
top-quality monitoring, you hear the layers, but for most people, all but
the top layer disappears in the mix or is totally stiffed by the bit-rate
reduction algorithm. My mixes, as a result, tend to be more flat. By
necessity. My listeners don't have PMC speakers.

It is a toss-up which gets purchased first: New amplifier, new laptop, new
digital camera or new headphones. I'm leaning towards the headphones. These
old ones scare my clients.

AG