Re: [OM] [OT] I'm really pissed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] I'm really pissed
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:21:21 -0400
I'm just shooting from the lip here, but I'm guessing if the Mayans weren't
right, then technology along with such developments as social media networks
will make it a lot easier for writers to get their work out. Paper? We don't
need no stinking paper! Blogs, Tweets, web sites, etc., and whatever software
is necessary to convert your word document into Kindle format. Word of mouth,
word of mouth. I recall a number of stories back in the day of fat and sassy
local newspapers who found themselves on the ropes because some folks in the
community bought early Macs and started publishing their own papers. I even
thought about it myself at one point when the New York Times Co., which owned
the paper I worked for, started playing games.

Sure, you'll never get Grisham numbers, but who cares? And maybe you will. I
can't recall the names, but I know I've read a number of stories about writers
who self-published and then found big boys to handle the reprints. I've seen it
happen here with regional stuff through DownEast Press.

I haven't checked into it, but it seems Amazon has a lot of "self published"
stuff available.

--Bob