[OM] Can Cybersync battery receivers/transmitters trigger a large flash

Subject: [OM] Can Cybersync battery receivers/transmitters trigger a large flash bulb?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:18:40 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks so much, Tim. Only on this great list is such knowledge
available.  :-))

So the cheapo yabe radio triggers likely drop the voltage as well
and may explain them not triggering the Flashbulb. I had no clue the OM
2N
and OM2 had different PC connector electronics;
so the fact that the 2N PC connector would trigger does not mean
necessarily that the OM2 pc
connector is at fault but perhaps the cap in the FB bracket is crummy
and even a slight decrease in voltage was enough to cause the failure.
(30 year old  cap after all).
I'll have to see if the OM2 pc connector will trigger a T32. Given your
info on the cybersync, I bet they would not work
with the current set-up.

I'll take a few snaps of the old capacitor this weekend.  I hope this
can be made to work reliably.  I have a bit of a rare bird
flashbulb bracket and Jim Cress at Flashbulbs.com really wanted to see
it , so I sent it off a few months ago.  He thought the thing worked OK
as I had it as I let him fire off a few of his FB's.  I  too thought it
was at least good enough when testing with the 2N that I just happen to
pull off the shelf.
It would be cool to be able to put the 4T in FP mode with an external
switch of some sort.  I may get an adapter to be able to use smaller
FB's
to experiment with and they would be good enough for macro shots.
Mike

At 3V the flash bulb likely takes a lot longer to fire. This is because
the
current must heat up the magnesium wire to ignition point.  The heat is
supplied at a rate proportional to Volts squared. So all else being
equal the
difference in heating rate (delay) between 22V and 3V is ~40+ times!
In
reality the current available is limited by both the voltage and the
internal
resistance of the battery/capacitor combination. That is why a
capacitor in
good working order is important in the flash unit. An old dried out
capacitor
cannot provide high current.