Re: [OM] New camera on the way [was Sad tales and other story lines]

Subject: Re: [OM] New camera on the way [was Sad tales and other story lines]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:13:39 -0400

On 4/27/2011 10:22 PM, Moose wrote:

> I've thoroughly enjoyed my 5D, and expect to keep using it
> extensively, but I'm going to supplement it with a crop sensor body,
> for several reasons:

Me too but probably an Olympus micro 4/3 if it has a good EVF, dual
control wheels and fast focus.  But the current products aren't there yet.

> 2. I've lived without an increase in high ISO capability for a long
> time now. Shooting down in a couple of hundred foot deep canyon on a
> rainy day last week convinced me I really would like that.

I'd definitely like some more ISO.  Another 2 stops beyond 3200 would be
great.

> 3. I've missed the multiplier effect for teles and the DOF. (Yes, I
> know, Chuck, but that's how I experience it.)

No argument from me.  Especially on the DOF.

> 4. I have for some time wanted live view with an articulated screen
> for macro, video and other such stuff. Yup, I know there are better
> implementations than Canon currently manages, but I mostly anticipate
> uses where that won't matter too much - and there are other factors,
> like a stable of EF mount lenses and the ability to use my OM  and
> Nikon mount MF lenses.

Yup, also important to me.  In mentioning the micro 4/3 I haven't
thought about my EF mount lenses.  Maybe I should think some more.

> 6. The 5DII is just too darn much money, doesn't do all of the things
> I want and will probably be replaced sooner than later.

Agreed.  I've never been tempted to go there from the 5D

> The Rebel/600D is very attractive, small, light, great IQ, but only
> one control wheel, mode dial on the 'wrong' side, no status LCD, no
> weather/dust sealing, and so on.
>
> You can guess by now; a 60D is due Friday. For only $200 more than
> the 600D, not too much bigger, useful added features, better grip; it
> seems the best match to my needs.

On the way back from Vegas last night the plane was full of Japanese
tourists.  The young girl sitting next to me (probably late teens) had a
600D which I'd never seen before.  She was shooting photos of the
Rockies and clouds and I could see the results on the very large screen.
  As near as I could tell the exposures were excellent and that large
screen was also simply excellent.  The lack of user control and info
amenities would not allow me to buy such a camera but it certainly
seemed to be producing very nice shots.  I suspect the camera was likely
in full auto mode so she probably didn't miss any controls.

Chuck Norcutt