[OM] First shots and Impressions of the E-PL2

Subject: [OM] First shots and Impressions of the E-PL2
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 09:32:23 +0200
Hi All,

I am back again after a brief holiday and the end of a big email
migration, due to a small bug in some alerting software I had just under
800000 email messages waiting for me when I returned.

Anyway, I bought a black E-PL2 just before leaving for Cinque Terra for
a weeks holiday, we rented a house that was dog friendly, it and the
weather was perfect, saving the rain for the last day.  I bought it with
the money I got for the E-3 and 12-60 and extra batteriues etc.

My main reservations against the E-PL2 such as missing control wheel and
looks were quickley forgotten, it wasn't love at first site but it has
grown on me. I have been forced to use jpgs and they look good, I wonder
if I should have used the E-3 in jpg mode more, the results I see from
the little pen certainly match what I was getting from the E-3. The
little panasonic 7-14 is a gem of a lens as sharp as its bigger olympus
brother, but more prone to flare, I had to spot and patch  quite a few
photos which I never had to do with the olympus version, however its big
plus is size and as the goal was to have a smaller system it reaches
that.  I am still considering the nikon 12-24 (or 16-35) for big system
wide angles on the 5D2 as I have a nikon G to EOS adapter.

The EVF-2 is in my opinion a must  especially on sunny days, but on my
first walk with it and grigor the dog, I lost it, cursing my stupidity
at not removing it and also for not yet trainingthe dog to sniiff things
out I retraced my steps for a Km to where I had last used it and luckily
found it again, since then it lives in the little pouch which I attached
to the neck strap.

I was not patient enough and bought the black two lens kit for an
inflated price but I was concerned about stock levels and wanted it for
the holidays, I see now that most dealers have it in stock again at the
lower price.

I will buy a hood because the 14-42 just looks odd without it and the
manual unlock system was not the bother I thought it would be BUT the
kit lenses feel very cheap and flimsy compared to the panasonic 7-14. As
for pucture quality see for yourself, there are a lot of images most
taken with the 7-14. The images off the emu are with the 40-150 which
after my first shots which were very poor seems to have worked better so
I put the initial failures down to user error.

Battery life is poor, while the canon and E cameras lasted for ages the
little battery in the E-PL2 seems good for about 200 shots - a days
shooting! I had to charge it every evening  whereas the canyon would
have lasted all week.

I tried the camera in P mode but ALL shots were very underexposed, I
then switched to Iauto mode and that worked much much better, when I get
more time I will try to use it more like a pro but I did buy it as a
general walk around snapshot camera. Whilst I won't sell the canyon yet
the E-PL2 has become my first choice to pick up.

There are nearly 300 pictures and not all are about art most are
snapshots to remind us of our nice holiday but if you want to see what
the images look like in Auto mode then feel free to look and comment.

<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/CinqueTerra2011>

or if that doesn't work try this

<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/CinqueTerra2011/16877636_nvNzJj#1274741489_sLB4tjB>

Thanks BTW to all who have been posting to the list images and comments,
its a bit late to comment on the pictures and topics now but I must say
I enjoy the quality of the people on this list.

IanW