Re: [OM] New Kodak Portra 400

Subject: Re: [OM] New Kodak Portra 400
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 07:13:30 -0400
There is a difference between the length of the solar and sidereal days
due to the orbital motion of the earth.  Since the sun is at the center
of our orbit the position of the sun with respect to the center of the
earth appears as a constant.  We see the sun move only because of the
rotation of the earth and not because of the earth's orbital motion.

But, when we're trying to track the stars, we see the stars move across
the sky from two causes.  The major movement is the rotation of the
earth but there is a second smaller movement due to the movement of the
earth in its orbit.  Because the earth is shifting its position in orbit
you'll see the same star field you saw last night reach the same
position again almost 4 minutes sooner than the 24 hours of the solar day.

The difference is inconsequential to your attempt to make star trails.
However, it's not inconsequential if you're trying to track the stars
with a guided high magnification telescope since the magnification of
the scope amplifies the movement.  If the "clockwork" driving the scope
is turning the scope at the solar rate you'll soon find that the star
you're tracking is slowly drifting out of the field of view.

Chuck Norcutt