[OM] Vacation Packing - Another Attempt at Futility

Subject: [OM] Vacation Packing - Another Attempt at Futility
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:00:29 -0500
So, with Summer coming up, the family has been discussing ideas of
camping. Back at Christmastime, we travelled through the U.P. of
Michigan, but we're thinking Colorado again this year. The dunes have
pretty much become our family favorite spot.

Well, with gas prices through the roof, we've been thinking of going
suicidal here and taking the Prius instead of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible for a family of four to
spend two weeks camping with a Prius. Probably the only way we could
do that is if we bought our camping gear and clothes out there and
gave it away. By the time we buy/give the gear, we could easily pay
for the additional gas to feed the Jeep. Besides, the Jeep is more fun
and gives off-road adventure possibilities.

Also, it really isn't so bad, because we tend to stay put for a few
days at a time so our overall gas consumption for the two weeks is the
same or even lower than in our normal lives.

So, going back a few months before the last trip, I considered doing a
film-only trip. I almost pulled it off, but the film didn't arrive in
time. Serious bummer!!! The last time we were out in Colorado, I was
almost entirely film-based. That turned out pretty well, actually. In
fact, just a few days ago, I FINALLY got all the slides sleeved.
There's some seriously good stuff in there that I haven't even thought
of scanning yet.

So, the thinking is this:  Travel very very light. No laptops (have
iPad and cellphones for communications). Well, my wife will bring her
tiny laptop because she's working on another book, but it's about the
size of my iPad. No digital cameras at all. Nope. Just the OM bodies
and a careful selection of lenses. I will bring my big tripod this
time, though. I'm tired of stooping. The idea is that the ENTIRE kit
will fit in just the one backpack.

I used to be able to do that, but since digital, my bag holding the
chargers takes up as much space as my entire camera bag did 7 years
ago!!!!

I really liked how it went last Colorado trip. I shot tons of Provia
and Velvia and had the mailers. Before leaving Colorado, I mailed the
film to DeWaynes and it arrived home a couple days after I did. It
actually went very well and I'll do the same again next time.

This last weekend was a good experiment. We travelled for a two-night
stay in the Prius. No camping gear, just hotelling it. The way the
packing went, I think we could do the trip in the Prius if we didn't
camp or if we took no creature comforts. But then we ran into a little
problem. I'm so tall that the car really is uncomfortable for anything
more than a couple hours drive. I am thinking that burning up a couple
of extra dinos is the way to go.

AG