Re: [OM] Vacation Packing - Another Attempt at Futility

Subject: Re: [OM] Vacation Packing - Another Attempt at Futility
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:44:35 -0400
I think it clarifies the mind to do the math.  I don't know where you're
going but driving 1000 miles from Grinell, Iowa will get you to almost
anywhere in Colorado.

If your Cherokee gets 15 miles/gallon you'll need to buy 133 gallons of
gas for the round trip.  If you take the Prius you might get by with a
little as 40 gallons.  So the difference for getting there and back is
93 gallons.  At $4/gallon it will cost you $372 to take the Cherokee vs
the Prius.  Since you'll have to give up the camping gear you'll have to
stay in motels.  $372 doesn't go very far for motels.  In addition you
won't be able to take all the gear you really want to.  If gas drops by
50 cents/gallon by summer as some analysts suggest you come out a little
bit better.  But even if it goes up to $5/gallon you're still probably
ahead to take the Cherokee and the camping gear.

Take the Cherokee.  It might actually cost you less in the long run and
you'll be a much happier camper.  (pun intended)  :-)

Chuck Norcutt