Re: [OM] Definition of "Normal"

Subject: Re: [OM] Definition of "Normal"
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:55:15 +1000
Actually I rather suspect that they were and even better in some senses.
They were slow but improved very quickly but and didn't need to build a stable
or shovel horse manure.
And a horse was very expensive to run, buy, replace and took up a lot of your
time.
Not really sensible unless you had multiple uses - ride, plough, cart
Then it'd die when a snake bit it.
I was surprised to discover that the average 'bushie' in outback in Australia
during the 19th C., the guys who moved from farm to farm doing shearing and
similar work, did not travel by horse as most people and films assume but by
bicycle - or foot. Horses were just too expensive, hungry and unreliable for
the average rural worker.

Horses - an outmoded form of transport or a decent meal if properly cooked.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx