Re: [OM] Long exposures with an OM2N - advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Long exposures with an OM2N - advice needed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 09:20:53 -0400
I'm with Piers.  Forget the meter.  I just checked the specs on my
Sekonic L-358 and the much more expensive L-558 and see that they both
claim to be able to read to EV -2.  That's the extreme end of their
measuring range and is roughly the illumination provided by the full
moon when high in the sky.  Ignoring reciprocity failure that might give
you an exposure of 10 minutes at f/11 (or thereabouts) at ISO 100.  But
then you'd also have to compensate for reciprocity which varies by film
and exposure time.

Get the Kodak books as Piers suggests because they figured out all of
this stuff 50 years ago or even much more.  It's also a lot cheaper
except that you'll need a little flashlight to read the book in the
dark.  Do as astronomers do and use a red light.  Doesn't interfere very
much with your night vision.

Chuck Norcutt