Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth

Subject: Re: [OM] Fence + Green Grass = Myth
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:32:59 -0500
> Let's see if I get this.  You venture out to do *field macro* work in
> the honkin' wind.  You've got an OM-3Ti and a 35-80/2.8 zoom.  And
> you're wondering about a Leica rangefinder film camera?  You mean one of
> those things with inappropriate viewfinder, serious parallax error and
> even slower flash sync than the OM-3Ti.
>
> Umm... I think your brain cogs have slipped a tooth or two.

I think you missed the "rambling" bit. I threw in a bunch of stuff there.

Most pictures, this weekend, were taken with the L1 and 35-80. The OM-3Ti
did make it out for a few shots, but mostly sat in the bag. The OM-4T is
loaded for the book project, but due to weather, I didn't have an
opportunity to work on that. The OM-2S is backup for that project.

The thinking about Leica was the greener grass reference. We (I) tend to
think that my photography would be better if...

However, the conclusion to the stream of thought is that I don't need to
worry about other cameras because what I already have is of sufficient
quality that it won't have any effective improvement as the medium itself is
now the limiting factor.

As I looked at a couple landscape shots taken with the L1 yesterday, I did
note the bokeh as well as the microcontrast. The 35-80 is in a league of its
own. Granted, on the L1 I'm using only a quarter of its designed coverage,
but for it to perform as beautifully as it does on the crop-sensor camera is
saying something.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the 300/4.5. I photographed a train
with it where a few of the shots didn't get affected by camera motion. You
can read the lettering which is down to the pixels. It's not the easiest
lens to shoot with, but when you nail it (F8 is glorious on this lens), the
rewards are great.

What I'm working out here, and you poor folks are my sounding board, is
whether or not I have the giblets to spend two weeks in a favorite
photography area with only one camera and one lens. Spare backup camera/lens
hidden away "just in case of failure". Could I do two weeks with JUST B&W
film? No color, no digital? Before Christmas I asked this very question and
almost did it, but the film didn't arrive in time so I ended up packing 50
pounds of camera gear.

Could YOU limit yourself in such a way? Colorado Rockies for two weeks with
just B&W film and a focal-length restriction of 35-80mm?

One thing already muddying the waters is that my color filters are in 55mm
size. The 35-80 has a larger ring size, so I need to etiher buy more filters
or carry primes.

AG