Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration

Subject: Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:10:54 -0700
On 5/15/2011 1:31 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Try SyncBack.  It will make you happy.  It's available as freeware, SE
> editon or Pro edition.  I run the SE edition.  Click the "products" tab
> here<http://www.2brightsparks.com/index-sp.html>

Yup, I am very happy with the free edition.

> The Pro edition of SyncBack will copy locked system files but I prefer
> to clone the boot drive in its entirety rather than worry about locked
> files.

Yup

> I also use an old version of Acronis Trueimage (version 9, OK
> for WinXP) which I bought for $10 since it was "obsolete".  I use
> Acronis for cloning the boot drive such that it picks up everything
> including the Dell service partition and my Linux partition.  I always
> keep two copies... one in the house and one elsewhere.

Yup. Although I use the free WD version. And I haven't figured out where to put
the second copy but elsewhere in the house.

> I use Syncback for backing up all of my images and certain data folders
> that are on the boot drive but which need more frequent backup than a
> full cloning provides because I only do full cloning occasionally.  I
> also keep 2 copies of my image files.

Yup

> I should mention that when I say "copy" I really mean a completely
> separate hard drive.  Also, "backup" isn't really the correct term for
> what I do.  The correct term in "mirroring".  When I back up the image
> files, for example, the source and destination drives will become mirror
> images of each other.  Files on the source not on the destination will
> be copied to the destination.  And files on the destination not on the
> source will be deleted from the destination.

Oops, finally we differ, phew! I use pure backup. That gives me a second chance
if I have deleted something I didn't
mean to and not noticed until after a back-up. Saved some images from
foolishness once, so I'm sticking to it.

> It also does an initial scan and comparison of source and destination
> and produces a log of the changes that will take place if you approve. I
> generally scan it quickly to see that it makes sense, especially if it's
> proposing deletions from the destination drive.  I make sure that I
> recall deleting those files from the source.  I've been using it for
> several years now and have never seen it make an error.

Ditto.

> Of course, the software knows how to do backups beyond mirroring.
> Backups are done by selecting a little profile that you build under
> program control that specifies source and destination
> drives/folders/files and the type of backup activity desired... backup,
> mirror, synchronize or restore.

Yup. I use some fancier ones for copying between desktop and netbook+ for
travel and return and for copying from
netbook+ to external back-up drive on the road.

Too Close to Twins Moose