Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration

Subject: Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 08:08:17 -0400
I'm quite comfortable with my mirroring choice since I have both a
chance to detect the error and a chance to recover from it.  When I'm
scanning the log of proposed deletions from the destination drive I'm
really only looking first for the folder name and how many files are
named to assure there's nothing there that's unexpected.  I also keep
two copies of the mirrored drive but each is made at a different time, a
month or more apart.  Should I discover something missing I have a
chance to recover it from the older mirror.

If my house was destroyed by fire and the newer mirror was the one in
the house at the time I'd likely lose those images taken in the interval
between mirrorings.  But that's an unlikely scenario and, even if it
occurred, my losses would be pretty small.  I prefer that to the
prospect of poring through a backup that contains all the things I
thought I had deleted before.

I'm not very rigorous about it but, if I'm working on a group of very
important images, I usually don't delete anything unless it's an obvious
dud such as out of focus or seriously bad exposure.  The "unchosen" raw
images are instead relegated to a sub-folder called "Discards".  They'll
likely never see the light of day again but they aren't deleted.

Looking at my folder structure one will find something like
2011-05-30 - Memorial Day with friends
    Discards
    Converted
       Crops
          Prints

The top level is reserved for raw files unless (like the Samsung WB650)
the camera can't do raw.  Converted is for files which have passed
through ACR, mostly just for exposure adjustment which is indicated by
an "e" appended to the file name.  If there has been any later
retouching or modification in PS then there will be another version
which has an "r" appended after the "e".  The Crops folder is as the
name implies cropped versions, usually to a specific print size ratio
but not resized.  The Prints folder is for resized and sharpened images
ready to be printed.

Chuck Norcutt