[OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system

Subject: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 10:49:59 -0500
Saturday, I went for a hike. It was partly cloudy--plenty of skud-style
clouds to work with. Interesting enough of a sky with intermittent sunshine
punctuated by overcast. Wind was blowing strong enough that keeping a hat on
was problematic.

Travelled light. I had the OM-3Ti with just the 50/1.4 lens. A set of B&W
filters and my GPS rounded out the kit. 1.5 rolls of B&W film. Oh, and a
polarizer.

Most of the pictures were taken with the orange filter. Red made the green
grass to too dak and lose the subleties. As the green is all fresh, the
orange filter did a great job of lifting it up in tonalitiy without the
artifical look which a green or blue filter gives. The polarizer was glued
to the lens. I love how it, combined with a orange or red filter just makes
the clouds jump out of the sky.

There were probably two pictures which will make it into print--possibly
three. Not much, but we are talking about nice 11x14 prints, not 5x7s. I
composed for the larger print size. The IMAX screen of the OM-3Ti is just so
much fun.

Well, I looked at the stockpile of film in the freezer. I counted 24 rolls
of B&W film (36 exp) for the Colorado trip. There is also a wad of NPZ. As
much as I dislike negs over slides, the cost of slidefilm with processing is
problematic. Therefore, I'll pick up a few more rolls of discounted Ektar
100. Otherwise, as SWMBO has spoken, digital will help pick up the heavy
lifting of color. (maybe).

But not all this weekend was B&W film. The E-1 with 35-80 served extensive
duty yesterday as it will again this evening for a portrait session. BTW, I
don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the E-1 has NAILED the WB two times in
a row!  Be very afraid!

Went to a graduation party for a relative who I did the senior pictures for.
It was fascinating seeing the large prints in actual presentation, framed,
matted and hung. Some pretty good stuff. The bulk of these pictures were
taken with the Panasonic DMC-L1 with the Leica 14-50. I know it's got to be
just me, but is anybody else bothered when they see a print which is biting
sharp? I think, especially when it comes to portraiture, that you can have
too much detail. That camera-lens combination just seemed a little edgy to
me. Regardless, everybody said good things about the shots and I think I got
two more customers out of the deal.

Tonight's shoot is with the E-1 and 35-80/2.8 zoom. That is one really nice
portrait setup.

AG