Re: [OM] 21mm F2 "glow" wide open

Subject: Re: [OM] 21mm F2 "glow" wide open
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:20:39 +0100
On 26 May 2011 15:17, Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The 21/2 has quite frightful coma towards the corners at f/2.0 (it's
> optically excellent by f/4.0 for 12x16in prints, BTW) so I am shooting
> it more and more wide open, trying to create layered, dreamy
> compositions. Here are two recently processed ones, from a (very
> muddy!) walk in the Knysna Forest.
>
> http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/146/2/2/fern_valley_detail_01_by_philosomatographer-d3h8zge.jpg
> http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/146/e/4/fern_valley_detail_02_by_philosomatographer-d3h8zhf.jpg
> (Both with OM-3Ti, Kodak TMY2-400, developed in D76 diluted 1+1)
>
> Does it work for you as a kind of "soft focus, but still quite sharp"
> aesthetic?

Yes, though they do look a bit like hyper-realistic scale models - a
similar sort of effect to the one you'd get from using lens tilt on a
landscape to shrink the DoF.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer